Visit Barbezieux (Poitou-Charentes, France)
Barbezieux (full name Barbezieux-sur-Hilaire) is a town located south-west of Angouleme and in the south-west of the Charente department (Poitou-Charentes region) of France.
The town is best known for the Chateau de Barbezieux, an imposing 15th century castle. The west side and entrance between two grand round towers is especially notable. The castle has known many uses over the centuries, among them a prison, a girls school, and a hospital.
The castle now also houses the Barbezieux tourist office, a theatre (created in the original castle barn) and a small local museum of archaeology.
Other Barbezieux monuments
The other notable historical monument in Barbezieux is the Church of Saint-Mathias, in the heart of the old town and for many centuries an important pilgrimage destination due to the relics it contained, most notably of saint Mathias.
The church is large and represents several architectural styles, having been built and altered over the course of several hundred years, from the 12th century to the 19th century. The beltower with its open arches and inset statues is perhaps the highlight.
After enjoying the 'important' sights be sure to take a stroll around the old town to admire the local style white-stone buildings which cluster in the shadow of the church.
If possible you might like to plan your visit for one of the two market days in Barbezieux, Tuesday and Friday.
Note: photo of Barbezieux is copyright
Photos taken within 10 km
Address: Barbezieux-Saint-Hilaire, Cognac, Charente, Poitou-Charentes, 16300 || GPS: latitude 45.473611, longitude -0.154167
Map of Barbezieux & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Barbezieux, France
- Jardin du Chaigne - remarkable garden (9km)
- Eglise de Saint Cybard (Roullet-Saint-Estephe) - religious monument (20km)
- Eglise de Saint Estèphe (Roullet-Saint-Estephe) - religious monument (20km)
- Eglise de Saint Martin (Gensac-la-Pallue) - religious monument (21km)
- Eglise de Notre Dame (Voulgezac) - religious monument (22km)
- Jonzac - recommended detour (22km)
- Logis de Forge - remarkable garden (24km)
- Eglise de Notre Dame (Trois-Palis) - religious monument (25km)
- Eglise de Saint-Germain (Gimeux) - religious monument (25km)
- Eglise de Saint Jean-Baptiste (La Couronne) - religious monument (25km)
Market days in Barbezieux: Regular market(s) are held in Barbezieux each Tuesday & Saturday & Friday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Barbezieux (Francais)