Visit Barbaste (Aquitaine, France)
Barbaste is located in the Lot et Garonne department of Aquitaine, about 5km from Nerac, where it sits quietly on the banks of the river Gelise.
The main attraction here is the 'Moulin des Tours de Barbaste', a fortified mill from the end of the 13th century which dominates the town centre and river bank (also known as the Moulin of Henry IV because King Henry IV would sometimes stay here when in the region).
Together with the adjacent 12th century arched stone bridge they performed an important defensive role for Barbaste in the Middle Ages.
The moulin has been taken under the wing of a group of local benefactors and from the 15th June to the 15th September this group, 'The friends of the Moulin des Tours', conduct guided visits during the afternoon.
In between the two bridges of Barbaste there is a nice grassy river bank dotted with picnic tables and so making a great place to stop for a picnic.
Market day is Friday in the town.
Activities near Barbaste
Barbaste is listed as a 'station verte' town, an award given to towns that provide varied facilities to visitors while preserving the natural environment. Among the activities provided nearby are horse-riding, an 18 hole golf course, tennis, canoeing and a leisure centre for children.
Apart from exploring the villages and small market towns in the region, the great forest of the Landes region is close by and many outdoor activities are available.
If the peace and quiet is too much for your children the lively amusement park at Parc Walibi near Agen is only 30 kilometres away (buy your entry tickets for Parc Walibi in Barbaste tourist office, or one of the other tourist offices in the area, and you get a small discount on the entry price).
Photos of Barbaste
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Barbaste, Lavardac, Nérac, Lot-et-Garonne, Aquitaine, 47230 || GPS: latitude 44.17, longitude 0.2872
Map of Barbaste & places nearby
Highlights close by
Villeneuve de Mezin 15km
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Barbaste, France
- Nerac - secteur sauvegarde (6km)
- Fources - most beautiful village (20km)
- Walibi Aquitaine - theme park (21km)
- Eglise de Sainte Marie (Aubiac) - religious monument (22km)
- Larressingle - most beautiful village (25km)
- Montreal-du-Gers - most beautiful village (26km)
- Prieuré de Sainte Marie (Moirax) - religious monument (26km)
- Beaumont sur l'Osee pont d'Artigues (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (26km)
- Agen cathédrale St Caprais (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (27km)
- Jardin et arboretum de Coursiana - remarkable garden (27km)
The French version of this page is at Barbaste (Francais)