Visit Auray (Brittany, France)
Auray is a pretty town to the east of Vannes with two, more or less separate, parts to the town:
- The main town and the historical centre of Auray on the top of the hill
- The port town of Saint Goustan, on the bank of the Auray River below. Both will be visited as part of the same trip - see Saint Goustan for details and photos of the riverside highlights.
Auray, on the hill, is a workaday town that has quite a few interesting feature to be discovered. These include:
-the view from the belvedere (at the end of Rue de Belvedere) down to the river below and across Saint Goustan
-the Rue du Chateau that joins Auray to the river is a very pretty street with a sprinkling of art galleries to distract you
-the Church of Saint Gildas on Place Notre Dame has an interesting Renaissance style entrance and a very impressive 17th century altarpiece
There are several other small highlights to explore, although they are sometimes a bit hidden among more recent development. Visit Auray tourist office to ask for the town map on which some of the churches, chapels and half-timbered houses are explained.
Don't forget to take a look at the front of the tourist office itself: it is behind the 17th century facade of a small chapel.
Remember to also see the details and photos for Saint Goustan, and be sure to also visit Sainte Anne d'Auray, an important pilgrimage centre just a few kilometres to the north of Auray while you are here.
Photos of Auray
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Auray, Lorient, Morbihan, Brittany, 56400 || GPS: latitude 47.666, longitude -2.982
Map of Auray & places nearby
Highlights close by
La Trinite sur Mer 10km
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Auray, France
- Megaliths of Locmariaquer - national monument (11km)
- Carnac - most beautiful village (11km)
- Megalithic site of Carnac - national monument (11km)
- Jardins de Kerambar’h - remarkable garden (12km)
- Golfe du Morbihan - site of natural beauty (15km)
- Aquarium de Vannes - aquarium (17km)
- Vannes - town of art and history (17km)
- Massif Dunaire de Gavres-Quiberon - grand site of france (28km)
- Parc Victor Chevassu - remarkable garden (30km)
- Elven - village d'etape (30km)
Market days in Auray: Regular market(s) are held in Auray each Monday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Auray (Francais)