Visit Aumont Aubrac (Languedoc-Roussillon, France)
Aumont-Aubrac is a small town in the Aubrac section of the Lozere valley (Languedoc-Roussillon) close to the A75 motorway which travels north to south through central France.
The town is also an etape, or stage, on the 'great Pilgrim Way', the pilgrim route that leads to Saint-Jacques de Compostelle (north-west Spain). Hence it is a useful stopping town for both motorists and pilgrims alike, and has a number of hotels and restaurants.
The town does not have a great deal of important monuments to see, but there is a small medieval centre with some 16th century houses to see, some featuring interesting historical carvings, that is pleasant to explore.
Also look out for the attractive building now housing the tourist office, the old 'Maison de Prieure'; the 11th century Church of Saint-Etienne with its large carved shell of Saint Jacques above the doorway; and a small part of the fortifications which once defended Aumont-Aubrac.
The curious sculpture that looks like a cross between a wolf and a dragon represents the 'Gevaudan wolf', a wolf (or perhaps a man in disguise) that once terrorised the region.
If you are passing through, I can particularly recommend the hotel Chez Camillou which has very comfortable, reasonably priced rooms and a really excellent restaurant.
Numerous opportuities for outdoor activities can be found in the attractive scenery of the hills around Aumont-Aubrac, with mountain biking and walking the most popular.
Photos of Aumont Aubrac
Click any picture to start the gallery
Tourist classifications for Aumont Aubrac
Aumont Aubrac is classified as a recommended place to break a long journey (village d'etape)
Address: Aumont-Aubrac, Mende, Lozere, Languedoc-Roussillon, 48130 || GPS: latitude 44.72361, longitude 3.28472
Map of Aumont Aubrac & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Aumont Aubrac, France
- Aumont-Aubrac - village d'etape
- Réserve de bisons d'Europe de Sainte-Eulalie - zoo or wildlife park (18km)
- Marvejols - recommended detour (19km)
- Cascade du Déroc - site of natural beauty (19km)
- St Chely d'Aubrac pont des pèlerins (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (32km)
- La Canourgue - village d'etape (33km)
- Saint-Flour - recommended detour (38km)
- Sainte-Eulalie-d'Olt - most beautiful village (40km)
- Sainte-Enimie - most beautiful village (41km)
- Saint-Come-d'Olt - most beautiful village (44km)
The French version of this page is at Aumont Aubrac (Francais)