Visit Audierne (Brittany, France)
Audierne is a harbour resort found on the Cap Sizun (to the western end of the peninsula of southern Finistere, south-west from Pont-Croix).
The town is is a popular harbour and leisure resort with visitors to Brittany, both for the Audierne itself and for the easy access it provides to beaches and the impressive coastal scenery of western Finistere.
Within Audierne the centre of activity is around the estuary, the harbour and the sea front, lined with impressive 17th-18th century houses built by the merchants who once supplied arms to the French navy. The main port and centre of the town are on the estuary of the River Goyen
Guided tours of the town are available during the summer - ask for details of times at Audierne tourist office (Place de la Liberté, next to the harbour). Other times of year they can provide a leaflet showing a suggested route for exploring the highlights.
The highlights include:
- the walkway known as the 'Chemin de halage' is to the south of town and is a pathway that crosses a section of the harbour and makes for a lovely promenade in the early evening
- the Parc des Capucins, a well-maintained and well planted park area towards the south of Audierne, and the more extensive wooded area to the north of the town
See also the sturdy granite Chuch of Saint Raymond - see which of your children can be first to find all three of the carvings of boats that decorate the outside of the church.
The town beach is on the western side at the mouth of the Goyen estuary.
Near to Audierne
- Pointe de Raz, a listed 'Grand site of France' is a dramatic section of coast jutting out into the Atlantic, at the western end of Cap Sizun.
- The Reserve de Cap Sizun is a section of coastline that is now protected and features beautiful and dramatic coastline, and a wide variety of flora and fauna, especially sea birds.
Photos taken within 10 km
Address: Audierne, Pont-Croix, Quimper, Finistere, Brittany, 29770 || GPS: latitude 48.025, longitude -4.54056
Map of Audierne & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Audierne, France
- Ile-de-Sein - most beautiful village (15km)
- Pointe du Raz - grand site of france (15km)
- Pointe de Penhir - site of natural beauty (26km)
- Baie de Douarnenez - site of natural beauty (26km)
- Locronan - most beautiful village (26km)
- Camaret-sur-Mer tour dorée (Vauban fortifications) - heritage site (29km)
- Argol - enclos-paroissial (30km)
- Menez-Hom - site of natural beauty (31km)
- Parc botanique de Cornouaille - remarkable garden (32km)
- Quimper - town of art and history (33km)
Market days in Audierne: Regular market(s) are held in Audierne each Wednesday & Saturday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Audierne (Francais)