Visit Aubigny-sur-Nere (Loire Valley, France)
For many centuries the town was ruled by the Scottish Stuart family, and it was them who built the multi-turreted chateau in the town centre that is the most dominant monument here and now acts as the town hall.
Scottish links for the town are still maintained enthusiastically, especially on a weekend in the middle of July (around July 14) each year, when a procession of pipers and other entertainments bring a festive air to the town. There is also a small museum explaining the history of the relationship with Scotland, and a large modernist statue of a Scottish piper, along with various smaller reminders of the association.
Monuments in Aubigny-sur-Nere
Apart from the castle, Aubigny-sur-Nere is also notable for a number of half-timbered (colombage) houses dating from the middle-ages. Note especially the 'Maison Francois 1' next to the church, for one of the most impressive examples.
Other historical artefacts here include parts of the original defensive fortifications and the Church of Saint-Martin, a gothic style church with 16th century stained glass.
The public gardens and several planted areas are beautifully maintained and help explain how the town is a 4* 'town in bloom' (ville fleurie), a prestigious award especially for a small town
Saturday morning is a good time to visit when Aubigny holds its weekly market.
Note: photo is copyright
Photos taken within 10 km
Tourist classifications for Aubigny-sur-Nere
Aubigny-sur-Nere is classified as a village in bloom (ville fleurie) 4*
Address: Aubigny-sur-Nère, Vierzon, Cher, Loire Valley, 18700 || GPS: latitude 47.4894, longitude 2.44
Map of Aubigny-sur-Nere & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Aubigny-sur-Nere, France
- Pierrefitte-sur-Sauldre - ville fleurie 4* (22km)
- Briare - ville fleurie 4* (28km)
- Sancerre - recommended detour (35km)
- Abbaye de Saint Benoît sur Loire (Saint-Benoit-sur-Loire Abbey) - religious monument (37km)
- Potager du jardin du château de La Bussière - remarkable garden (39km)
- Mehun-sur-Yevre - recommended detour (42km)
- St Aignan de Brinay (Brinay) - religious monument (42km)
- Arboretum national des Barres - remarkable garden (45km)
- Saint-Cyr-en-Val - ville fleurie 4* (52km)
- Parc Floral de la Source - remarkable garden (55km)
Market days in Aubigny-sur-Nere: Regular market(s) are held in Aubigny-sur-Nere each Saturday all day. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Aubigny-sur-Nere (Francais)