Visit Aubigne-sur-Layon (Pays de la Loire, France)
The village of Aubigné-sur-Layon, classified as a 'village of charm', is to the southern edge of the Pays-de-la-Loire region, near the border with Poitou-Charentes and south of Angers.
The centre of the village, in a lovely setting in the Layon Valley, is dominated by the two square towers and sturdy walls of its fortified castle, and the 11th century church of Saint-Denis (enter the church to see the 18th century frescoes).
There are some other notable buildings in the village, such as a 17th century priory and a presbytery - the entrance to the priory is very unusual, with two tours joined by a short balustraded path above the gateway.
It is just one of the many 'small yet idyllic' villages that you will come across as you visit the valley and the region - with the special feature for Aubigne-sur-Layon of also being listed as a 4* ville fleurie - a significant accolade for any town, a substantial achievement for a small village.
The number of flowers and carefully tended gardens you will come across - in the central square, around the houses, in the gardens...add a great deal of additional pleasure (and colour) to a visit, and make a visit to Aubigne particularly recommended.
(comments kindly contributed by france this way visitor Jane Barrett)
Photos taken within 10 km
Tourist classifications for Aubigne-sur-Layon
Aubigne-sur-Layon is classified as a village in bloom (ville fleurie) 4*
Address: Aubigné-sur-Layon, Vihiers, Saumur, Maine-et-Loire, Pays de la Loire, 49540 || GPS: latitude 47.2128, longitude -0.459722
Map of Aubigne-sur-Layon & places nearby
Highlights close by
Chateau de Brissac 16km
Chateau de Saumur 29km
See lots more places to visit nearby and a more detailed map at places near Aubigne-sur-Layon.
See Pays de la Loire and Maine-et-Loire (the region and department for Aubigne-sur-Layon) for more travel ideas...
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Aubigne-sur-Layon, France
- Parc zoologique de Doué-la-Fontaine - zoo or wildlife park (12km)
- Eglise de Notre Dame (Chenehutte-Treves-Cunault) - religious monument (22km)
- Prieuré de Notre-Dame de Cunault (Chenehutte-Treves-Cunault) - religious monument (22km)
- Montreuil-Bellay - recommended detour (25km)
- Saumur - secteur sauvegarde (29km)
- Angers - town of art and history (29km)
- Chateau d'Angers - national monument (30km)
- Parc oriental de Maulévrier - remarkable garden (31km)
- Thouars - town of art and history (32km)
- Cholet - ville fleurie 4* (36km)
The French version of this page is at Aubigne-sur-Layon (Francais)