Visit Aubeterre-sur-Dronne (Poitou-Charentes, France)
Aubeterre-sur-Dronne is in the south-east of the Charente department, and 20 km west of Riberac (Dordogne department).
Poised on a steep hill above the Dronne River, Aubeterre is a very pretty village. The houses are in the local white stone, some with traditional first floor galleries, others with multi-levelled galleries, and many with attractive roofs. A large number of the houses have been carefully renovated.
The big attraction in the village is the church of Saint-Jean, an extensive troglodyte church (also known as the monolithic church) dating in part to the 5th century. The main body of the church is 20m high and is the tallest hewn-out church in the world.
There is a full-immersion baptismal font carved out in this part and a reliquary which is claimed to have once housed a holy relic. It is possible to climb the steps up to the first floor from where you can really appreciate the height and size of the church.
To the side of the main chamber is a burial area where 80 burial holes have been hewn out of the stone. Each with the head pointing to Jerusalem. A very eerie sight!
The monolithic church of Auberterre sur Drone became an important stop on the pilgrimage to Compostella.
The church of Saint-Jacques is another notable highlight on a visit to Aubeterre sur Dronne, especially for the quality of the stonework around the portail and facade of the church.
In the highest part of the village there is also the Clarisses convent and the Cordeliers and Minimes monasteries. For a small village there is a lot to see! After having a good look round there are bars and restaurants on the Place Travieux where you can stop and relax.
The style of Aubeterre makes it an interesting 'transition' town between the different landscapes and architecture of the Charente and Dordogne regions, and a visit is recommended.
Photos of Aubeterre-sur-Dronne
Click any picture to start the gallery
Tourist classifications for Aubeterre-sur-Dronne
Aubeterre-sur-Dronne is classified as a one of the most beautiful village in France (plus beau villages)
Address: Aubeterre-sur-Dronne, Angoulême, Charente, Poitou-Charentes, 16390 || GPS: latitude 45.2725, longitude 0.171111
Map of Aubeterre-sur-Dronne & places nearby
Highlights close by
See lots more places to visit nearby and a more detailed map at places near Aubeterre-sur-Dronne.
See Poitou-Charentes and Charente (the region and department for Aubeterre-sur-Dronne) for more travel ideas...
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Aubeterre-sur-Dronne, France
- Eglise Notre Dame de Faye (Faye) - religious monument (13km)
- Eglise de Notre Dame (Voulgezac) - religious monument (27km)
- Logis de Forge - remarkable garden (32km)
- Eglise de Saint Cybard (Roullet-Saint-Estephe) - religious monument (36km)
- Eglise de Saint Estèphe (Roullet-Saint-Estephe) - religious monument (36km)
- Jardins du château de Montréal - remarkable garden (36km)
- Eglise de Saint Pierre (Petit-Palais-et-Cornemps) - religious monument (37km)
- Eglise de Saint Vincent (Puymoyen) - religious monument (38km)
- Eglise de Saint Jean-Baptiste (La Couronne) - religious monument (38km)
- Ancien Prieuré de Merlande (La Chapelle-Gonaguet) - religious monument (39km)
The French version of this page is at Aubeterre-sur-Dronne (Francais)