Visit Arromanches (Normandy, France)
More correctly known as Arromanches-les-Bains, this coastal town is found in the Calvados department of Lower Normandy.
Arromanches is a pleasant seaside town which is famous for the part it played in the D-day landings on June 6 1944. Arromanches was in the forefront of the landings as its beach, designated Gold Beach during the operations, was one of the beaches selected to receive the man-made landing harbours, known as the Mulberry Harbours.
(Historical note: the other beach was Omaha Beach near St Laurent sur Mer). The harbours were designed such that they could be floated across the English Channel to act as a temporary harbour for the D-Day Landings.
Remains of the Mulberry Harbour can still be seen at Arromanches with a couple of the concrete harbours sat on the beach and a line of them to be seen in the sea. It sounds a bit grim but really it is quite evocative and eerie.
The beach is a lovely long stretch of golden sand and the town has a pleasant, lively atmosphere and there are plenty of bars, hotels and restaurants to make this a good holiday base. But the landings remain one of the key attractions to this area.
There is a museum in Arromanches with information about Operation Overlord and the Mulberry Harbour and there is a lot of WWII weaponry in the museum and scattered around the town. There is also a 360°, 9 screen cinema showing the film « Le Prix de la Liberté ». The film contains archive footage of the D-Day landings.
Nearby to Arromanches les Bains are the Normandy landing beaches of Omaha, Juno and Utah as well as a number of Allied war memorials and cemeteries. Arromanches is also close to Bayeux and its famous tapestry.
Photos of Arromanches
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Arromanches-les-Bains, Ryes, Bayeux, Calvados, Normandy, 14117 || GPS: latitude 49.34, longitude -0.621112
Map of Arromanches & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Arromanches, France
- Jardins du château de Brécy - remarkable garden (8km)
- Prieuré de Saint Gabriel Brécy (Saint-Gabriel-Brecy) - religious monument (8km)
- Bayeux - secteur sauvegarde (9km)
- Cathédrale Notre Dame (Bayeux) - religious monument (9km)
- Prieuré (Saint-Gabriel-Brecy) - religious monument (10km)
- Eglise de Saint Pierre (Rucqueville) - religious monument (10km)
- Plantbessin - remarkable garden (20km)
- Abbaye de Caen (Caen) - religious monument (26km)
- Abbaye de Cerisy-la-Forêt (Cerisy-la-Foret) - religious monument (28km)
- Villers-Bocage - village d'etape (29km)
The French version of this page is at Arromanches (Francais)