Visit Arlempdes (Auvergne, France)
Your first glimpse of Arlempdes will take your breath away - the ruined castle on a rocky outcrop, and the beautiful valley below combine to make a very lovely view. Arlempdes has two principal highlights:
- the chateau, which is open for guided visits in the summer. Sitting on the cliff above the small village, the 12th century chateau is now a ruin. It is especially worth visiting for the fine panoramic views it provides;
- the magnificent setting on a rocky outcrop over the upper reaches of the Loire River (the source of the river is just 30 km further).
The little chapel and the Roman style church in the village also merit a visit.
Arlempdes itself is very small, and becoming increasingly prettified / renovated in recent years, and is now largely dependent on tourism for its income.
It won't take you long to explore - try and arrive around lunchtime so you have an excuse to have lunch in the restaurant at the entrance to the village, or have a picnic in the valley below.
The town is also gaining a reputation for the theatrical events that are held in the courtyard of the chateau for a week each summer - the 'Festival de théâtre d'Arlempdes'.
The countryside around the village is very attractive, with volcanic rock appearing dramatically from the landscape of valleys, streams and rivers. There are many villages of interest to see near Arlempdes, with Pradelles to the south being one of our favourites.
I must also emphasise that the town of Le Puy-en-Velay, north of Arlempdes, is one of the most interesting towns in central France and a visit is highly recommended.
Photos of Arlempdes
Click any picture to start the gallery
Tourist classifications for Arlempdes
Arlempdes is classified as a one of the most beautiful village in France (plus beau villages)
Address: Arlempdes, Pradelles, Puy-en-Velay, Haute-Loire, Auvergne, 43490 || GPS: latitude 44.866, longitude 3.9238
Map of Arlempdes & places nearby
Highlights close by
Le Puy-en-Velay 20km
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Arlempdes, France
- Pradelles - most beautiful village (11km)
- Lac du Bouchet - site of natural beauty (12km)
- Le Puy-en-Velay - recommended detour (20km)
- Le Puy-en-Velay cathédrale Notre-Dame (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (20km)
- Le Puy-en-Velay Hotel-Dieu St Jacques (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (20km)
- Prieuré de Saint Julien (Saint-Julien-Chapteuil) - religious monument (22km)
- Cascade du Ray-Pic - site of natural beauty (28km)
- Monts d'Ardeche - regional natural parc (33km)
- Eglise de Saint Georges (Saint-Paulien) - religious monument (34km)
- Réserve de bisons d'Europe de Sainte-Eulalie - zoo or wildlife park (36km)
The French version of this page is at Arlempdes (Francais)