Visit Arbois (Franche-Comte, France)
Arbois is found north-east of Poligny in the Franche-Comte region of France, near Salins-les-Bains.
On the banks of the River Cuisance, Arbois is a pleasant town set among the vines and forests that are typical of the region.
Well meriting an explore, the town has some very pretty streets lined with ancient houses centred around an arcaded central square where you have more than one opportunity to sample the local wine.
There are also two medieval towers to discover when you visit Arbois - the square Gloriette Tower and the velfaux Tower , now incorporated in the chateau. Chateau Pécauld itself once belonged to the Dukes of Burgundy, and now has a small museum dedicated to wine growing and production.
Visit also the Church of Saint Just, dating from the 12th century but much modified in later centuries - the tower dates from the early 18th century.
Louis Pasteur had his laboratory in Arbois, which has been conserved and now provides an insight into the work of one of the most important scientists in the history of medicine (you can learn about his early life at the museum in his childhood home, at Dole).
Finally be sure to take a stroll along the river, a picturesque setting for the lower part of the village.
There are a couple of particularly attractive scenic highlights near Arbois, including the lovely waterfall at Cascade des Tufs and the belvedere above the town at Cirque de Fer à Cheval.
Photos taken within 10 km
Tourist classifications for Arbois
Arbois is classified as a listed town of Art and History
Address: Arbois, Lons-le-Saunier, Jura, Franche-Comte, 39600 || GPS: latitude 46.903, longitude 5.7747
Map of Arbois & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Arbois, France
- Salins-les-Bains - town of art and history (9km)
- Royal Saltworks of Arc-et-Senans - heritage site (14km)
- Chateau-Chalon - most beautiful village (20km)
- Baume-les-Messieurs - most beautiful village (24km)
- Jardin des jeux du château d'Arlay - remarkable garden (24km)
- Jardin à la Faulx - remarkable garden (30km)
- Dole - secteur sauvegarde (30km)
- Lods - most beautiful village (39km)
- Citadelle de Besançon - zoo or wildlife park (41km)
- Besancon citadelle (Vauban fortifications) - heritage site (41km)
Market days in Arbois: Regular market(s) are held in Arbois each Friday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Arbois (Francais)