Visit Anzy-le-Duc (Burgundy, France)
Anzy-le-Duc is in southern Burgundy, to the south of Paray-le-Monial.
A small, pretty village with some lovely traditional houses, set peacefully in the rolling Burgundy countryside, the big attraction here is the Priory of Anzy-le-Duc.
Priory of Anzy-le-Duc
A monastery was first founded here in the 9th century, and gained fame because Hugues de Poitiers, an inspirational character at that time, became a prior at the church.
The current church, dating from the 11th - 12th centuries, is a good example of Burgundy Roman style church architecture (and a very attractive and interesting ensemble) with several notable highlights.
The first unusual feature you will notice from the outside is the octagonal bell tower, with its three levels of arched windows and stone carvings. Elsewhere around the outside of the church there are numerous stone carvings and gargoyles, culminating in the 12th century carvings around the entrance doorway.
Inside the church is also distinguished by the beautiful decoration and vibrant frescoes it contains, especially in the choir area, and by further stone carvings (the capitals at the top of the supporting columns are carved into plants and animals).
Beneath the choir of the church at Anzy-le-Duc is an 11th century crypt, which for several centuries held the relics of Hugues de Poitiers. The crypt somehow became forgotten, then used as a storage area, but has recently become reincorporated in the church.
The church and village of Anzy-le-Duc are perhaps best described as 'small but perfectly formed' and a visit is recommended when you are in the region.
Note: during the summer months nocturnal visits to the church are often arranged, giving a rare and welcome chance to better recapture the history of the priory.
Photos taken within 10 km
Address: Anzy-le-Duc, Marcigny, Charolles, Saone-et-Loire, Burgundy, 71110 || GPS: latitude 46.32, longitude 4.0608
Map of Anzy-le-Duc & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Anzy-le-Duc, France
- Prieuré d'Anzy-le-Duc (Anzy-le-Duc) - religious monument
- Eglise de Saint Pierre et Saint Paul (Montceaux-l'Etoile) - religious monument (4km)
- Eglise de Saint Hilaire (Semur-en-Brionnais) - religious monument (7km)
- Semur-en-Brionnais - most beautiful village (7km)
- Eglise de Saint-Pierre-aux-Liens (Varenne-l'Arconce) - religious monument (8km)
- Les jardins Romans de Varenne-l'Arconce - remarkable garden (8km)
- Jardin du château de Chaumont - remarkable garden (10km)
- Eglise de Saint Marcel (Iguerande) - religious monument (13km)
- Eglise de Sainte-Marie-Madeleine (Neuilly-en-Donjon) - religious monument (14km)
- Basilique du Sacré-Cœur (Paray-le-Monial) - religious monument (15km)
The French version of this page is at Anzy-le-Duc (Francais)