Visit Ancy-le-Franc castle (Burgundy, France)
Ancy-le-Franc castle is found in the Yonne department south-east of Tonnerre, on the Canal de Bourgogne (Burgundy canal)
Built between 1542 and 1550 Ancy-le-Franc is one of the first Renaissance chateaux to be constructed in France. The castle is roughly square in shape around a central square courtyard, and set within extensive landscaped gardens
The unassuming but quietly elegant exterior of this 16th century castle conceals a grand Italian style courtyard and interior with several very grand rooms to visit, including some very good frescoes and wall paintings - the largest collection of renaissance paintings to be found in France, mostly dating from the 16th - 17th centuries.
The architect and decoration of Ancy-le-Franc castle were under the control of some of the same individuals responsible for Fountainebleau, and are richly decorated with painted ceilings, frescoed and panelled walls, and intricated parquet floors. Among the most impressive rooms are:
- the Chambre des Arts, with a fine parquet floor and elaborately painted walls and ceilings
- the Galleries of Médée, Sacrifices and Pharsale, above all for their stunning floor designs and walls
- the paintings in the bedrooms of Judith and of Flowers
Outside the castle is surrounded by extensive gardens, both formal French style and a more informal English style, with the Burgundy canal providing a further scenic backdrop.
Admission price for Ancy-le-Franc Castle is 9 euros, with reductions for students, children etc. Guided visits only.
Along with near neighbour Tanlay Castle, the castle at Ancy-le-France is one of the highlights of a visit to the region.
Photos taken within 10 km
Address: Ancy-le-Franc, Avallon, Yonne, Burgundy, 89160 || GPS: latitude 47.777, longitude 4.1636
Map of Ancy-le-Franc castle & places nearby
Highlights close by
Tanlay castle 10km
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Ancy-le-Franc castle, France
- Noyers-sur-Serein - most beautiful village (15km)
- Abbaye de Fontenay (Montbard) - religious monument (21km)
- Fontenay Abbey - heritage site (23km)
- Abbaye de Fontenay - remarkable garden (23km)
- Jardin du moulin de Athie - remarkable garden (24km)
- Jardin du prieuré - remarkable garden (29km)
- Potager du château de Lantilly - remarkable garden (30km)
- Chatillon-sur-Seine - recommended detour (32km)
- Neuville-sur-Seine - ville fleurie 4* (35km)
- Bussy-Rabutin Chateau - national monument (36km)
Market days in Ancy-le-Franc castle: Regular market(s) are held in Ancy-le-Franc castle each Thursday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Ancy-le-Franc castle (Francais)