Carcassonne travel guide
Visit Carcassonne: Highlights and Tourist Information
IMPORTANT: this is a summary of local highlights. For detailed visitor information see Carcassonne travel guide
Location: Carcassonne is situated in the Aude department (Languedoc-Roussillon region) in the south of France - it is the prefecture (capital) of the Aude department. (General information: Carcassonne is 628 km from Paris and 861 km from the port at Calais).
Tourist classifications for Carcassonne: Protected historical centre (fr: secteur sauvegardé) (see also historical French towns); Heritage site;
Market days in Carcassonne: weekly market: Tuesday & Thursday & Saturday; (markets take place in the morning unless indicated)
Popular places to visit near Carcassonne: these include Saint-Hilaire at 14 km and Montolieu at 16 km. Carcassonne City is a listed grand site of france at 1 km and Gouffre de Cabrespine is a listed site of natural beauty at 18 km. For more places to visit nearby and local tourist attractions see the map and listings below.
Photos taken within 10 km
Selected places to visit and attractions near Carcassonne, FranceSome places that we or our contributors have visited and reviewed and can recommend close to Carcassonne
La Pomarede 40km
Note that all distances from Carcassonne shown above are direct and real driving distances will be greater.
Carcassonne holidays and travel
If you are planning a visit we suggest you see our hotel search (from a leading hotel agent and with a great selection of hotels and a best price promise).
Markets near Carcassonne
- Carcassonne: market every Tuesday & Thursday & Saturday (0km)
- Bram: market every Wednesday (20km)
- Limoux: market every Friday all day (21km)
- Olonzac: market every Tuesday (31km)
- Mazamet: market every Tuesday & Sunday & Saturday (31km)
- Lezignan-Corbieres: market every Wednesday (32km)
- Esperaza: market every Thursday & Sunday (33km)
- Castelnaudary: market every Monday all day (35km)
- Labastide-Rouairoux: market every Thursday (37km)
- Labruguiere: market every Friday (37km)
- Revel: market every Saturday (40km)
- Quillan: market every Wednesday & Saturday (40km)
- Mirepoix: market every Thursday & Monday (42km)
- Saint-Pons-de-Thomieres: market every Wednesday & Sunday (45km)
- Belesta: market every Tuesday & Thursday (49km)
Tourist attractions nearby
Below we show places with official tourist classifications and other places of interest to visit nearby that should provide inspiration if you are visiting Carcassonne and wondering what to do next! Positions of each of these attractions is shown on the Carcassonne map below.
Grand Site Of France Carcassonne City (1km)
Regional Natural Parc Haut-Languedoc (47km)
Site Of Natural Beauty Gouffre de Cabrespine (18km); Fontaine Intermittente de Fontestorbes (49km)
Map of places to visit near Carcassonne & Location Information
Distance to Carcassonne
from Carcassonne (local prefecture): 1 km
from Paris: 628 km
from Calais: 861 km
from Nice: 400 km
from Bordeaux: 296 km
from Strasbourg: 728 km
* distances are direct not by road!
For driving distances to Carcassonne from anywhere in France see driving distances and route planner.
This page in French: Visitez Carcassonne