France holiday ideas and inspiration
You know that you want to come to France...but don't yet know where, or what to do?
See below for some inspiration with ideas based on our own extensive travels in France, whatever type of visit you are searching for, from a fortnight on a beach in summer to a springtime tour of the best gardens in France - some are very well known, others a little off the beaten track...
We recommend you also browse through our hundreds of featured France travel articles for more ideas.
COAST: On the Code de Granit Rose in northern Brittany, Perros-Guirec is well placed to explore lovely beaches and coastline
COAST: Arcachon is a lovely resort with impressive sandy beaches on the Atlantic coast in south-west France
COAST: With its 19th century architecture and popular beach Deauville is among our favourite Normandy resorts
COAST: The most visited resort in France, Nice is also a major city with an extensive historic centre & numerous attractions
Gorges du Tarn
SCENERY: the stunning beauty of the Gorges du Tarn is further enhanced by the traditional pretty villages along the gorges
Gorges du Tarn (Midi-Pyrenees)
VILLAGES: enjoy a few days exploring the countryside and villages in the Ardeche region
SCENERY / VILLAGES: the Luberon in Provence has numerous medieval villages set in exceptional scenery
SCENERY: the Lot Valley contains some very picturesque scenery and also lovely villages
Skiing the Alps
WINTER: skiers in the Alps can choose from quiet family resorts or world famous exclusive resorts
CASTLES: as well as some of the loveliest scenery & villages in France, the Dordogne has numerous medieval castles
CASTLES: the Loire Valley is famous for the stunning Renaissance castles built in the region
CHILDREN: Vendee has exceptional family friendly beaches and lots of other children activities
CHILDREN: As well as Disneyland, France contains many other popular Theme Parks
SHORT BREAKS: There are lots of towns in France that make perfect 'short getaway' destinations...
COAST: the picturesque seaside resort of Collioure also has a pretty old town to explore
SCENERY: often overlooked by visitors, the Jura has exceptional scenery, vineyards, villages...
Need more travel inspiration?
For more suggestions perhaps one of these these will inspire you:
- the most beautiful villages of France
- the listed heritage sites of France
- the listed towns in France that have further development controlled as 'secteurs sauvegardés' - historical towns in France
- Explore the bastide towns of the south of France or the perched villages of Provence
- French chateaux
- the National Monuments of France
- visit the classified Grand Sites of France (mostly scenic highlights)
- find 'French towns in bloom' near your destination
- there is a listing of the popular coastal regions at France beach
Long visits and short trips
Take a long Break in France and Spain
The camino pilgrimage paths across France pass through many beautiful places en route - and can take a couple of months to complete. See French pilgrim paths
or a Short Break in France
- Cycling - cycling holidays in France
- Yoga - yoga holidays in France
- Golf - France is a great place for all levels of golf player - see golf holidays in France /
- Canal boats - spend a quiet week exploring the canals of France
The above are just a few suggestions and don't begin to cover the many beautiful places to be discovered in all regions of France. Be sure to explore the site to discover hundreds more options for your visit, and let us know if your 'inspiration' is somewhere else altogether different...