Car hire France - for cheap car rental anywhere in France
We have found that car rental prices vary substantially, even for the same period and from the same pick-up point, so we recommend that you check prices from two or three different car hire companies to ensure you get your rental car in France at the best possible price.
Below you can check prices from three of the leaders in the industry to ensure your quote is competitive...just click on the different tabs!
Select a car hire supplier...
Finding the Cheapest Car Rental
With the price search above you can be pretty confident that you'll have an unbeatable offer on your car hire in France. Want to be sure you are getting the best possible deal for your car rental? Check with other leading hire companies first then check our prices!
The France car hire companies selected above all offer great prices (they search all the major car rental companies for best prices) and have full online booking and reservation systems. We are confident that if you get online car rental quotes from these the price you pay will not be bettered elsewhere.
For your convenience the above car rental links will open in a new tab/window so you can return to this page after you have got your car hire quotes.
Car Hire France Advice
The general advice below applies to car hire in all countries, not just France!
We have a separate article about driving in France.
Apart from the obvious advice to shop around for the best quote there are a few other considerations when you are hiring a car that will affect both your comfort and enjoyment - the cheapest car hire isn't necessarily the ideal rental for your visit! To compare quotes accurately make sure you have specified your needs carefully, and that you understand what the price quoted actually includes.
Be sure that you are renting a big enough car for travelling around France. The legroom in the back seats of a small car can often be very restricted, so if more than two adults are travelling together consider who will be in the back seat and whether they will be comfortable. Likewise, be sure that there is a large enough boot space to carry all the luggage you will have. Cheap car hire is good. Too cheap is not necessarily better!
Additional charges are often levied by car rental companies for:
- additional insurances, such as collision damage waiver are often charged - typically optional, but most people would accept them for the extra peace of mind during their holiday
- listing additional drivers as able to drive the car may incur a surcharge on the cost of your rental
- Basic extras include child seats and roof rack will usually incur an additional daily charge. Over a long stay this can be a significant cost
- Other options available. Options might include air-conditioning (called climatisation or 'clim' in French, sometimes standard but not always); a CD or DVD player; a GPS navigation system etc. Your need for each of these will depend on your situation, but it might well be worth paying a little extra for in car entertainment or to help with direction finding if this will reduce family friction on long journeys
- Car cleaning charges may be imposed - so if baby is sick on the back seat while junior sprinkles crisps around, that might cost you dearly
Read the terms and conditions in your car rental agreement. There might be restrictions on how much mileage you can cover, how much petrol should be in the tank when you return the car, what kind of roads you are allowed to drive on (e.g. 'no off-road driving is included in the insurance' might include that car park where a tree falls on the car!) and others. Just be sure you understand any risks you are taking on.
In France it is important to follow the correct procedures if there will be a subsequent insurance claim, mostly relating to filling in an accident report form.
When you arrive to pick up your France rental car be sure you have checked it for every little dent, scratch or missing hubcap so that there is no dispute when you return the vehicle.
Lastly? be sure that you know how to access the petrol tank!
Location specific car hire in France:
Note for car rentals in Corsica you might like to visit the travel section in our dedicated site: Corsica car hire
Note: If you do find a reputable car hire company offering cheaper prices on rentals in France and Corsica - please let us know.